Wednesday 28 November 2012

Chess with a twist - XB1000

Chess with a twist

I was recently tasked with editing the game of chess, with the aim of adding more chance into the game to attract more social gamers.

I made a number of changes to the game. Firstly I added a combat/capture system to the game, this involved using a d20 die to battle it out each time you want to capture another player. The d20 allows a lot more variety in possible outcomes than a smaller die e.g a d6. I also added some damage multipliers to the game for more powerful pieces such as the queen that has a +3 multiplier. Taking inspiration from Scrabble I added a random selection modifier, in Scrabble all the tiles are stored inside a bag, the players select tiles at random without being able to see in the bag. Using this idea as a base i developed a system where players random select pieces which they can then play on the board. Only the king starts on the board as it is needed to complete the game. I also fiddled with the movement of some pieces to put limiters on the distance that they can travel, e.g: Rooks, Bishops and Queens can normally move unlimited in there chosen direction but in my modified version a d8 is rolled (the board is 8x8 making the d8 the perfect size) what ever the number rolled is, is the cap that the piece can move.

No comments:

Post a Comment